Grayson United Methodist Church began in a brush arbor in 1884. In 1885, permission was granted to build a Methodist Episcopal Church South to be named “Asbury” in Trip, Georgia (now known as Grayson). The church known as Asbury remained unchanged until the early 1950’s, when the roads in front of the church were altered. A basement was built to provide space for Sunday School rooms and the church was literally moved over the newly constructed basement. When a water system became available in 1955, bathrooms were added to the building. The choir loft was added in 1959.
In 1980, with the rapid growth of Grayson and the surrounding area, church leaders recognized the need for a larger church building and fundraising began on August 9, 1980. The result is now what is the Christian Life Center, or CLC, where our Student Ministries meet.
In 1989, a campaign called the “Growing Spirit Fund” began for a new sanctuary. Ground-breaking was held on November 23, 1992 and the steeple was put into place on November 3, 1993.
The first Sunday of Advent, November 28, 1993, was celebrated in the new Sanctuary. The original building then became known as the Chapel. In 2003, after toxic mold and asbestos were discovered in the Chapel, it was condemned and eventually demolished. It was with heavy hearts that church members gathered hands around the Chapel on March 14, 2004, to bid a fond farewell to the building that held so many precious memories.
At that time, the “By God’s Grace We Grow” capital campaign was in full swing to raise funds for the multipurpose church building we enjoy today. The building includes a multipurpose room called the Praise and Life Center (PLC).
It also includes a memorial chapel, called Heritage Chapel, that contains pews and stained glass windows from the original church. The bell from the original church also has a place of prominence on the corner of the property – near the spot where the original church stood as a monument to that beloved building.
We celebrated the new building on January 7, 2006, with a Consecration and Communion Service. When the foundation was poured for the new building, members of the church inscribed prayers and their favorite scriptures. What better foundation for God’s work?
And Our Church History continues to unfold…